Berlin is the capital and largest city of Germany located on the banks of the River Spree in the northeastern part of the country.
Five interesting facts about Berlin:
- The name Berlin came from the Slavic word berlo which means “swamp”.
- The first written record of the city’s name dates back to 1251.
- It was the capital of the Margraviate of Brandenburg (1417–1701), Kingdom of Prussia (1701–1918), German Empire (1871–1918), Weimar Republic (1919–1933), Third Reich (1933–1945) and East Germany (1949–1989).
- The fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 marks the end of the Cold War.
- It is the most heavily bombed city in history. During World War Two, large parts of the city were destroyed by bombing raids, fires, and street battles.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means I may make a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you click on one and make a purchase.
Berlin Tours & Activities
How to use this map
Click the icons (orange stars) on the map to see the places I visited and photographed. Click the arrow on the left top corner for the index. If you click the star next to the title of the map, this map will be added to your Google Maps account.
Official website: Berlin