Lisbon (Portuguese: Lisboa) is the capital and largest city of Portugal set on seven hills at the wide mouth of the Tagus, the longest river in the Iberian Peninsula, where it meets the Atlantic Ocean.
Five interesting facts about the city:
- It was founded around 1200 BC by Phoenician settlers.
- Since the 13th century, it has been the capital of Portugal.
- Lisbon is the westernmost capital of a mainland European country.
- After Athens (Greece), it is the second-oldest capital in Europe.
- It is the closest European capital to the United States.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means I may make a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you click on one and make a purchase.
Lisbon Tours & Activities
How to use this map
Click the icons (orange stars) on the map to see the places I visited and photographed. Click the arrow on the left top corner for the index. If you click the star next to the title of the map, this map will be added to your Google Maps account.
Official website: Lisboa